Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting a grip!

Grad school update: done with classes until September!  YESSS!  Now I have the whole summer to just focus on my research and hopefully get some good work done.  With no homework, and a super flexible schedule that should let me practice yoga every day.  That will be lovely.

I missed three consecutive days of yoga in a row this week, Tuesday through Thursday, which is semi-catastrophic for me.  That has only happened to me one other time in the past two years, and it was the finals week of last quarter.  Go figure.

By Friday my body felt like crap in all kinds of ways, from the combination of sleep deprivation and yoga deprivation (not sure which is worse!) and I was so thrilled to get back to class that evening.  From a technical standpoint, the class was an absolute train wreck, but I honestly didn't even care.  I told the teacher afterwards, "that was probably one of the messiest classes I've ever done, but I enjoyed the heck out of it!"

It's always fascinating and bizarre to observe the changes in my practice after any kind of weird disruption.  The one thing that surprised me last night AND this morning was the effect on my HANDS.  My grip felt so weak!  I noticed it even in half moon, and then I seriously felt it in standing head to knee and standing bow when I could barely hang onto my foot or ankle.  I had to literally work to get a grip again.  I thought this was an apt metaphor for the work of a yoga class, especially at the end of a long and stressful week.  Just come in, concentrate, and get a grip.  On everything.  Don't lose the grip...

That is all for now.  :)

3 comments:

bikramyogachick said...

yay! You survived! Enjoy your summer!

Duffy Pratt said...

Congrats on grad school.

Instead of losing your grip on things, maybe you were just "letting go." That's supposed to be a good thing, isn't it. Life is so confusing....

thedancingj said...

It sure is....